This is the easiest, yummiest veggie meal EVER. Ok, maybe not everyone would agree, but I promise you it will not disappoint!
It’s filling, cost effective and really delicious. Lovely butternut squash with a variety of vegetables, subtle flavours and nice bit of feta to top it off – whats not to like!
1 medium sized butternut squash
1 red onion
1 red or yellow pepper
1 clove garlic
4 blocks of frozen spinach (or 2 big hand full of fresh spinach)
Feta, to top it off
Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven at 200c or gas mark 6
- Get a big sharp knife and cut around 1cm off each end of the butternut squash. Then cut it in half length ways
- Scoop out all the seeds, and then again using a sharpe knife score the butternut squash length way and across, making a little square patter. Place on a baking tray and drizzle over with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Cook in the oven on the middle shelf for approx 40 mins or until golden brown
- Around 10 mins before the squash is done, chop the pepper and onion in to small chunks. Put a frying pan over medium heat and along with a drizzle of olive oil add the onion. Cook for around 5 mins until golden brown, then add the peppers and crushed garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- After the squash has been in for 40 mins take it out of the oven (leaving the oven on), and using a table spoon carefully scoop out the soft middle and add to the frying pan. Using a wooden spoon break it up into chunks and stir everything together. For the last few minutes, add the spinach (frozen or fresh) and stir until cooked and wilted down. Add salt and pepper.
- Divide the cooked vegetables equally into both sides of the butternut squash and put back in the oven for around 5 – 10 mins on the top shelf.
- Finally take it out, and sprinkle on feta cheese (as little or as much as you like!)
You can serve this with some cous cous and mint or a fresh salad.