I’ve always wanted to make granola bars, especially when I just began cutting sugar out of my diet. Cutting sugar out was hard. There’s no way around it, it is. Especially since it’s in nearly everything on the supermarket shelves and in things I didn’t even know about. And even when I went in search of granola bars in the shops, I still couldn’t find anything that had absolutely no chemicals, or soy or something that I was avoiding in order to heal my stomach.
I thought about having something sweet ALL the time, and after a lot of googling thought why not try making healthy granola bars that can also be a great way to have that sweet hit.
I’ve experimented with a few recipes and really love this one, because it has that chewy and sticky element that’s so delicious. Best thing about it is you can alternate with flavours and add in whatever you like. These have only natural sweetener, are gluten, wheat, dairy and soy free – yay!
Try these out and have them as a snack, or even breakfast if you’re strapped for time in the week.
135g Gluten Free Oats
100g sugar-free dark chocolate chopped roughly into chunks
120g soft dried apricots roughly chopped
1 cup dates
70g honey (or maple syrup)
64g coconut oil
1tsp vanilla extract
- Line a deep baking tray with baking paper
- Toast the oats in the oven at 175c, laid out on a flat baking tray for approx 15 mins
- Process the dates in a food processor until it’s a ‘dough’ consistency. Then mix together with the oats in a big mixing bowl
- Melt the coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract in a microwavable bowl placed over a pan of boiling water, then set aside
- Add the dry ingredients – apricots, raisons, dark chocolate to the oats and date mixture
- Mix in the wet ingredients (honey, coconut oil, vanilla essence) and combine well and evenly together
- Fill the lined tray with the mixture and press down evenly.
- Place in the fridge for approx 30 mins or until the mixture is set. Cut evenly in to rectangular or square shapes and enjoy!